Hi Crafty friends. Today I would like to share with you how I added some beautiful Ombre ribbon from Ribbons Unlimited Inc. and a couple of few other things to dress up a plain canvas tote.
I got this tote at my local craft store. They came in a three pack which is great to make one for you and two more for friends or family.
The one thing I learned (the hard way) in creating this project is that you'll need A LOT of ribbon. I had about 4 feet of the Ombre ribbon but after ruffling them, I was only able to make two lines of ruffled accents instead of the three that I had initially planned for this tote.
Are you ready to learn how to recreate this bag? Read on for the instructions and supplies...
1. Sew a straight stitch on one long edge of the ribbon. Do not close the stitches on the beginning nor the end of the ribbon.
2. Pull the thread away from the ribbon gently to create the ruffles. Do this until you've ruffled the entire length of your ribbon.
3. Place the ruffled ribbon over the bag to see where to cut the trims. Fold the ends and sew the ruffled trim on the bag. This time, make sure you close the stitches on both ends. Repeat the process with as many ruffles you'd like your bag to have.
4. For additional accents, add premade flowers on the left side of the bag.
5. Cut a title (or name) from a vinyl sheet using a die cut machine. Peel the negative part of the cut and adhere to the bag.
6. Mix a little bit of textile medium to your acrylic paint of choice. By adding the medium and following the procedure to treat the paint, your paint shouldn't fade if you wash the tote. Add paint over the space inside the negative space of the template. Make sure you don't go over the spaces. Set aside to dry.
Once completely dried, carefully peel the vinyl sheet to reveal the painted word.
Canvas bag- Hobby Lobby
Fabric Flowers- Jolee's Boutique, EK Success
Vinyl sheet- Glue Arts
Paint and textile medium- Plaid Enterprises
Die cut machine- Cameo, Silhouette
Thread and Sewing Machine