Hello Ribbons Unlimited friends. I’m here to share with you a layout I created combining some grosgrain ribbon with washi tape. We all know that there are one hundred ways to use washi tape on its own but I noticed is that if you want it have a little more ‘body’ in your project, it needs to be adhered to a stronger foundation. Hence a plain grosgrain ribbon to the rescue. You not only add some flair to an otherwise plain ribbon but you also add great designs that washi tapes are so popular for.
1. For this page, I started with a mint green cardstock and then cut up white cardstock that measured 11” x 11 ½” and adhered that to my double page spread foundation. I then cut out a circle from orange pattern paper (I chose that color to resemble the sun) *If you don’t have a circle cutter, a plate would work just fine.
2. I then assembled my page with the papers and pictures. Glue the elements to the page. With the orange circle shape, only adhere the center of the paper to the layout. This enables us to slip in the “sunburst” later on without having to worry about adhesive.
3. Adhere the washi tape over the grosgrain ribbon, centering it over the trim.
4. Cut the ends into a notch. Repeat till you have at least 4 small (about 2” long) strips of the ribbon/washi tape trim.
5. Insert them under the circle paper. You can create a pattern (like I did) or make it random.
6. When you’ve completed your sunburst pattern, adhere part of the trim underneath the paper with glue dots.
7. Secure the trims around your paper by adding machine stitching to the inside edge of the circle paper.
8. Add some embellished canvas tags by adding some ribbon to the top.
9. Add a chevron design on the tags with a stencil and some mist. Add more embellishments to create a finished look. Hand write your journaling.
Here are some more close up pictures of the layout…
I love how the yellow grosgrain ribbon added cohesiveness to the sunburst even though there are multiple patterns and colors.
I hope my project inspired you to combine your ribbons and washi tape together.
Grosgrainribbon, Pistachio, 5/8”, Ribbons Unlimited Inc.
Cardstock- WorldWin Papers
Papers- (white) DCWV; (others) SEI
Polaroid frame- Elle Studio
Washi Tapes- Doodlebug Design Inc.
Letter stickers- (white) Creative Memories; (brown) Doodlebug Design Inc.
Brads- My Mind’s Eye
Die cuts- (fresh and fun) Imaginesce; (border) GCD Studios
Canvas tags0 Maya Road
Chipboard accents- (stars) Pink Paislee; (others) Basic Grey
Word stickers- October Afternoon
Pen- (black) Millenium, Zig; (turquoise) Faber Castell
Circle cutter- Creative Memories
Border punch- Fiskars
Mist- Mustard, Heidi Swapp
Threat- Coats and Clark
Sewing Machine- Kenmore